Rescue Bears Long and Trang
Two bears are in safety and one more Vietnamese province has no more bile bear farms
Two more emergency cases for FOUR PAWS in Vietnam: Asiatic black bears Trang and Long were successfully rescued in November 2018 by a FOUR PAWS team accompanied by vet Dr Johanna Painer from Vienna's Veterinary University.
Sixteen-year-old Trang had been abused for bile extraction for such a long time that she became agitated when she recognised the anaesthesia pump at her rescue. By saving her, we were finally able to eliminate bile bear farms in Ben Tre province.
"Trang’s health condition is okay, but she has a huge scar on the upper part of her gallbladder, which is undoubtedly from puncturing the organ for bile extraction in the past. The liver tissue around her gallbladder is fibrotic and has changed in density due to long-term inflammation in that area."
Vet Dr Johanna Painer from Vienna's Veterinary University
Long, 22 years old, was the next bile bear to leave his cage forever. His vet check was heartbreaking for everyone involved. He had been suffering in a tiny cage for so long that his body was ravaged by chronic arthritis. His joints were so stiff that the abused bear was not even able to lie down properly. His spine had hardened almost completely and he must have been in unbelievable pain for a very long time. Our team was finally able to offer Long some relief with appropriate painkillers and he will need special pain management for the rest of his life. Since arriving at BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh, Long has stolen everyone's heart. He seems to be very happy and ready to embrace his second chance.
Long and Trang were taken to the quarantine station at BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh. Here, they received medical care from FOUR PAWS veterinarians and animal caretakers. A lifetime of abuse has left appalling physical marks on them. After a while they were released to outdoor enclosures.
Note: Any advertisements that may appear during the viewing of this video are unrelated to FOUR PAWS. We assume no liability for this content.
Heart-breaking twist during rescue
The original plan was to rescue three bears. We are still deeply saddened that Sao, a male sun bear, approximately 16 years old, whom our team from FOUR PAWS Viet attempted to rescue in the morning of the 16th of November 2018 from a zoo in Lam Dong province, died on the way to our BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh. Although Sao had several health problems such as a liver cirrhosis and a gallbladder inflammation which we strongly believe are a consequence of being used as a bile bear in the past. Sao’s condition was stable during and after the vet check performed by our veterinarian and wildlife expert, Dr. Johanna Painer and the Vietnam bear team.
Sao woke up from the anesthesia quickly and was doing well. Five hours after the team left the zoo, Sao suddenly started bleeding from his nose and mouth and his breathing became heavy. Our team of wildlife experts was desperately fighting for his life for more than 12 hours and tried everything possible to help him. It was our and our supporter’s heartfelt wish to offer him a new life at our sanctuary without pain and we are heartbroken that Sao who suffered terribly for so many years didn’t get the chance to live a happy life according to his needs.
Today we know that Sao died because of internal bleeding and despite of our vet team’s tireless efforts, his condition could not be stabilized or resolved. The examinations that took place after his death showed that there was blood in his chest and abdomen and moderate bleedings on most organs. Furthermore, the initial toxicological examination revealed presence of an anticoagulant rat poison in his blood. These types of rodenticides bind vitamin K, resulting in the inability of the body to produce essential clotting factors which can lead to internal bleeding. Although we are waiting for further analysis results, we can already conclude, that Sao died of internal bleeding, due to poisoning with rat poison.
Since Sao lived in a zoo and was accessible to the public we will never know how Sao got into contact with the rat poison but the certainty would not change the fact that any rescue or hope for a new life came too late for him. We therefore call for immediate measures to be taken by the government to free the last bile bears in Vietnam from their agony and to relinquish them to animal welfare organizations.